Friday, February 17, 2012

Going Dutch

I never really knew why splitting a bill was called going Dutch. I never really thought about it either until today as I was leafing through my latest real simple magazine I noticed that they had a small article on the meaning. Hurrays!
So going Dutch is pretty much when you want to split a bill half ways with someone. What I didn’t know is that it’s an old English slur against poor old Netherlands. In the early 17th and 18th centuries the English and Dutch totally hated each other. They had like 4 wars. Anyhoo the English started referring to bad things as “Dutch” like alcohol was referred to as “Dutch courage” a “Dutch treat” was when you asked someone out for a snack then asked them to pay for it. And so going Dutch to split your bill pretty much means you’re cheap. But oh well times are tough.
Next time you use this saying, make sure you arent around any dutch folks f they will totally punch you in the face. and there you have it, Angry Englishmen and cheapskates, and even though I’m neither, I love going Dutchm super efficient.. :D

No comments:

Post a Comment