Monday, February 20, 2012

the artist formerly known as small cakes.

Cookies.
Cookies are my friends. I love them. I love making them, I love sharing them, and I love reading recipes for them when I’m super bored and even worse in moments of complete bliss I find myself coming up with new recipes of my own for them. Yea I’m a little obsessed. So today as I was lost in recipe thought I realized I have no idea where the word cookie cake from.
The word “cookie” comes from the Dutch “koekjes” which came from the Dutch “koek”, meaning “cake”;  cookie was introduced to English in the very early 18th century.  It is thought this term caught on more in the United States due to the strong Dutch heritage in early America.  The British prefer to call cookies “small cakes, seed biscuits, or tea cakes”.
I love the term tea cakes though, fascinating! J

No comments:

Post a Comment