Friday, April 6, 2012

if only there was an eraser for life mistakes...

Erasers
We all make mistakes, some of us more than others I know I should not have worn a dress that short, I know I should have had the 3rd piece of chocolate cake and remember that guy from college, seriously what was I thinking and wait where was I going with this, oh yes erasers, no matter what kind of mistake you make, you always will have a use for a trusty eraser.
When I was younger and in elementary school I had a kerroppi eraser that I would use until I got down to the big googley eyes but I never wondered where they came from. Turns out that prior to the eraser people would use bread, yea white rolled up crust less bread to erase their errors. Once someone mistakenly picked up a small piece of rubber thinking it was a bread scrap and low and behold the eraser was born from a mistake, how ironic. This guy was Edward Nairne
In 1770, Edward Nairne, an English engineer, is credited with developing the first widely-marketed rubber eraser for an inventions competition. He reportedly sold natural rubber erasers for the high price of 3 shillings per half-inch cube. Incidentally, that was the first practical application of the substance in Europe, and rubbing out the pencil marks gave it its English name. which is why they’re called rubbers in other countries…insert several LOL’s here.

No comments:

Post a Comment